Monday, December 24, 2007

The Piano



Music is very important to me. I have played the piano most of my life. I know how to read music - and play by ear. Although I sadly admit that I used to play very good by reading - my VERY favorite is to sit and compose by ear - and over the years, I do that more and more. Music is just in me. I have two piano's at my house. A digital baby grand, with all the bells and whistles, that help you write the music that you hear in your heart and soul. I have another beautiful upright one hundred year old oak piano that is absolutely gorgeous because I like to collect antiques. Music. To me there is nothing better.

When we went to Russia, I took some song books to play to the children. I so wanted them (all the orphanages) to hear happy songs, and for my three little bugs- to know that music would be an important part of their life. So, I carefully selected the pieces that I wanted to play for my new daughters.

On our first trip there, while we were waiting in the gymnasium for Cami, there was an old, used piano in the corner. It was the one that when Cami came to the room, I took her to it, and sang, "Can't help falling in love" on. She listened carefully - and tried to play back. You could tell Cami loved the song. AND, she loved music. I wanted to play more, but it was obvious that we were not to play, they were displeased with that. We were "disturbing" the others. So, that is the only song I got to play for Cami.

When we got to Aliana and Nikki's Detsky Dom, I looked in vain for a piano. There was none to be found. So I asked around. I was heartbroken when I heard they did not have a piano. No piano?? How could it be?? There had to be a piano for them!! It was kind of funny in a way, because they had an old karaoke machine, which they loved, and certain children would sing, which I will tell you about later, but there was no piano.

I am a freight broker by trade. I retired about a year and a half ago. I moved freight all over the United States. So - when I heard there was no piano - my brain instantly started thinking of who I knew back home and how I could get a piano back over here to this detsky dom. Now- thinking of this, I can see the absurdity of it all, but at the time, I was trying so hard to get something I just wanted them to have for that orphanage, for the children.

I remember Vinny and I driving home that first night from meeting Nikki. We talked about no piano. I told him of the thoughts I had on it. I was really struggling with this one. Vinny told me not to worry, Heavenly Father was ever mindful of us. His whole theme throughout this process was "DO NOT FORGET THE CHILDREN". He is so logical and I am so emotional. At anyrate - we talked about it.

When we got back to the hotel, I remember that we knelt down and in fervent prayer we asked our Heavenly Father to somehow help us get this orphanage a piano. I knew that we would be returning there in three or four months to claim the girls as our own, and I pleaded with the Lord that this might happen by the time that we return. I didn't have a clue how it would be done, I realistically knew that my freight brokering couldn't help do anything in Russia - but I could pray, and pray I did.

We returned the next day, after another three hour ride. We were able to be with the children and see Nikki and even had a chance to visit with Fatima (Aliana) who we had still be praying about also. SUDDENLY, out of the blue, the director came running down the hall! She was VERY excited. She had just received a phone call from the director of a University. Seems there was a family that had to move immediatly and they had an old piano. They had called the University and asked if they could buy it. The University was short of funds. Hearing of the American's at the Orphanage, they had called the director, and asked her if she could use a piano! WE WERE FLO"ORED!!! I absolutely could not believe what I was hearing!! She beamed at us. "Could we purchase the piano for them" She inquired? Could we!! YES!!!!!! We immediately gave her the three hundred dollars on the spot - she was so very excited - as were we! The feeling and the spirit there was somthing I will have a hard time understanding or ever forgetting. I know that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ AND the Holy Ghost worked hand in hand to make that happen at that time that day.I was so happy to be a part of that. Here I was asking Heavenly Father to help me make this happen in three months from now - and He did it over night. What a miracle! I was shaking and crying. Not only that - but they offered to bring the piano immediately. After a few bumps in the road, the piano was delivered a few weeks later. When we returned to pick the girls up and bring them home, we were able to see the piano that the Lord had delivered to this orphanage, and we were overcome again with emotions. It was a beautiful sight. I sat and played and played, and the children did not want me to stop - even when I became nervous~! lol. I do know that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers and that miracles have not ceased. I witnessed one literally overnight!

1 comment:

KJade said...

Oh my gosh, what an incredible story! I love the story of the piano!!!! Isn't that just a miracle and real proof that God hears our prayers?!?! That is really incredible. Wow, Dana, you are a miracle worker, and your prayers are shooting straight up to heaven!! xo Love, Renee'

Salutations

My photo
United States
Just a bunch of crazys trying to keep it real