Friday, January 4, 2008

Our last day with Cami before returning home



That night, after resting for an hour or so with my feet up, we tried to venture out once more to the Gallerira and got Cami a few more toys for our next and final visit with her. We also went grocery shopping - everything was SO different from America. I tried so hard to use my Russian (from a book) and one cute girl at the store was so sweet, she gestured to me to fill out a "discount card" - one like a Food lion or Smith's card - a grocery store card where you save a few pennies! It was so cute! So we filled it out, laughing because we knew we would be flying back to America in a couple of days, but the gesture was so sweet. I still have that card. I was so exhausted, however, and did not feel good, and we went to bed very early.

New day - feet are still very swollen, but not as bad as the day before --

We got to Cami's Orpanage. I was really excited to see her again - because we hadn't seen her in two days. We were once again ushered in to the gymnasium where the piano was and waited. We waited for about twenty minutes, and suddenly Cami was brought in. Cami was in filthy, dirty clothes,and that really really bothered me! Here, I had just left her a whole suitcase full of new clothes two days earlier, and not one piece of clothing was found on her?? I was fuming, wondering if indeed they had even been given to Cami. I spoke my frustration to Michael, the interpretor. The Director of the orpanage was not there that day, and the Education Teacher had been left in charge. She would not budge, and held her ground. But I was NOT going to budge either, and tersly told her that she better get up there and put Cami's decent clothes on her that I had brought to her. She took her out, and finally returned her with the same clothes we had put on her the last time we had seen her! I was NOT happy! WHERE WERE HER CLOTHES????? I never did find out.

Then another issue. Ms... Control Freak decided that she would not allow us to take Cami to the Galleria (we had been told we could by the director). I again was NOT happy. It was so hot again in there, but she walked over and closed the windows to the room, as she icely told me that she didn't want me saying hi to the other children playing outside!!!! ( I had recognized some from the website - and was waving to them). I informed Michael that I had not come 5,000 miles and spent thousands of dollars not to get to spend time with Cami. I was furious. The Ice woman - control freak would only let us spend one hour with her that morning and told us to return at 330pm that afternoon.

So- we got up and left - the morning had been all but spoiled. Seeing Cami had been great - but there was so much politics involved that morning, I really didn't even get to feel her sweet little spirit. Off I went back to the Galleria, and went back to the toy store. A certain lady working there caught my attention. She seemed SO nice. I tried to explain that we were going to adopt from the detsky dom, and she was touched. She came up, and shyly handed us two bags of Russian candy!! It was so sweet and kind. We bought Cami a hula hoop that lights up and makes noise, a big princess pink bag, a game called jumping Monkeys, and a Tom and Jerry Puzzle. (that was her favorite cartoon).

We returned to the orphanage around 330pm. I asked AGAIN why Cami was out of her clean clothes and back in filthy dirty clothes?!!!! This time, someone really scooted, and hurried and changed her. Something else happened too. I noticed that our little Cami Bug was missing her first tooth! (one lost, one very loose). So I explained to her about the tooth fairy, and fave her a dollar bill for each tooth. I told her if she lost any more teeth to save them in her bag for the tooth fairy in America.

There were times Cami would get weepy - sad - but she had the most wonderful caretaker. She was an older lady with fading red hair. She really liked us. She very sternly but lovinly explained to Cami that she would have a better life in America, that we were her Mama and Papa! I was so happy and thrilled this woman was there. I instantly adored her, how do you thank someone for that? Cami, cautiously started to want to see the pictures of "home" and our house. We went over the names of all the kids here, so she would know her brothers and sisters. She was told her American name would be "Camilla Rose" to which she replied that she liked Vika. =) We told her that Vika would always be her Russian name and that is was so very beautiful, but she would indeed have a new name here. She then seemed really settlted with it.

She loved the hula hoop - she was amazing at it. It was nice however, to quiet her down and watch her do puzzles, and play games. She is extremely bright, and figures things out quickly. She can be quiet and thoughtful. and then suddendly that high little girly laugh brightens up even the darkest of rooms. We were told we could stay as late as we wanted - because of not getting to spend time with her earlier in the day. Seems my well worth frustration was listened to, and someone's butt was chewed pretty good. That wasn't my intent, but it was my intent to spend as much time as I could with the child, seeing that we had spent so much time and money into coming there.

Cami's living conditions were poor - but extremely clean. There were obvious crafts taking place - good things going on. Cami showed us her bed - which was in the middle of this big room, in the middle of several little free standing cots. Nothing looked soft about it at all. Just small and cold. She told us she was instructed to make her bed by herself everyday, and we also learned that she washes her own clothes every day by hand! I was mind boggled!! I saw the old little hand washer, where these tiny children would line up (babes if you will) and scrub their clothes). Yes, there were many tears shed. We just don't know how good we have it. Such responsibility for six years old!!!
She seemed to love to sit on my lap and look at books and pictures. We showed her a picture of her new bedroom, and she boldly stated that she "wanted the other bed in the room" (there were two beds - one for her - one for Nikki..). When we went to leave- we left her pictures of her new home and life. Suddenly, she turned and ran back and got us a water-coloring picture book that she had worked on the past year. I was touched to the core. I couldn't believe she would part with such a treasure.

I wrote her names out for her to study. CAMI, CAMILLA ROSE. and VICTORIA. She seemed very settled. We parted with hugs and kisses, and many" I love you's". Yatza bila bleu. ((That's how it sounds in Russia - not how it's spelled). The language of love understands all barriers. It was very hard for me to leave her this time.

Back to the Hotel - and back to preparing to return to Moscow. So many memories, and I felt as if my arms were empty... that I shouldn't be leaving without those children. They were already mine. I had held them, loved them, told them so, from the moment I saw them. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THEM YOURS from the GET GO! Don't be afraid to LOVE. Just go grab them and let them know that they are yours and you are theirs. LOVE. They can feel it if you have it. Give it freely. I just wished everyone could go and get a child. I was more impressed with NIkki's orpanage than Cami's -- but I wouldn't have found Cami without hers,, so there is a reason for everything.

Goodbye for a few months- my babies.. and Heavenly Father? Please keep them in your loving care. Please watch over them and protect them until we can return for them and take them HOME.

Getting ready to go home follows....

1 comment:

KJade said...

I can't imagine how it felt to have to say goodbye to your babies for a few months -- especially having seen their conditions. That's really something they wash their own clothes. It's really something to consider the loving, warm home that you and Vinny have given your "little bugs" and how blessed they are now with their new family and the Gospel, too! Love, Renee'

Salutations

My photo
United States
Just a bunch of crazys trying to keep it real