Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our last night in Moscow June 27 04



That night, we got back to the hotel. Once again, we were physically exhausted, as well as emotionally. I still was suffering the pangs of heat exhaustion, yet so much had to be done. We started to pack. We got a phone call from our translator, Alex, informing us that we owed him and Alex our transportation driver cash in the morning before returning to Moscow. We said sure - no problem. We went out to the "bank"... the little ATM... or whatever it is called over there to pull money out of our account. There, to our utter HORROR, we found that all of our credit, ATM, DEBIT, all cards had a hold placed on them. All accounts were frozen!! We did not think to notify our banks of oversea travel before we left - and they got suspicious and put a hold on our account! Even our credit cards did the same thing! Everything was alerted and raised to "Fraud Status". We were more than frightened! There we were, in Stavropol, with no money!!! We got a hold of Alex, the translator, and he got a hold of Irene, the Director of our Adoption Agency that we were there through. We told her what had happened, and she she informed us that "things like this happened all the time!" Fortunately, she told us not to worry about it - she would pay Alex and we could compensate and reimburse her. We had enough cash on us to get us to the Marriott Hotel in Moscow. We were so grateful for her - for that gesture.

We retired semi-early. Back to Moscow in the am! UP EARLY!! Back to the rickety old plane that would fly us back to Moscow. Alex took us to the aeroport. He stayed with us until we got through the gate. We finally boarded after a long wait, and fortunately, we both slept most of the way back to Moscow. It was the same experience there, walking off onto a runway, and finding our luggage at a very old terminal baggage claim. Sergey was back again, to gake us to the Marriott. We were awed by down town Moscow. It was VERY old - lots of walls and gates, but very crowded and noisy- due to honking horns and speeding cars. There are no speed limits - people drive fast and furious there. You very seldom see women driving - in fact I think I only saw one drive the whole time I was in Russia. The men drive fast, hard, and take life threatening risks like it is nothing. There are policemen everywhere. They just stand with big "billy clubs". If they gesture you to pull over with their sticks, you do. They like to take bribes. You can either pay them a bribe then, or if you don't have the money, you go and pay two times as much later at court, so we were told that most everyone carries bribes around for the policemen. You don't have or need a driver's license, you have a passport. Whenever you leave or enter a city, you have 24 hours to register where you are. This way you can be tracked and monitored always. It's really freaky.

Sergey was motioned over by the police. He looked very worried... so of course, me the worry wort, was VERY worried. He had a cracked window in his windshield, and was very concerned that the police would take away his plates to his car - which he told us was a huge hassle to get back. Vinny and I instantly said a prayer to help him out (and ourselves). Our prayers once again were answered - Sergey came back looking very relieved and said that they only took a bribe. We were able to go on our way.

We made it to the Marriott and checked in. By this time, Vinny was not feeling well. He had severe stomach problems. We got up to our room, and decided to go check out the hotel. First we thought eating might help Vinny. So - we went down to a delicous buffet. There we ate to our hearts content. There we saw the California woman Sean Volz (husband Scott who had to go home) who was still there trying to get that baby girl home!! She was pretty sure they would be able to go home in a day or so - We really prayed for her. Vinny was prepared to give her money if needed. One more reason I fell more in love with him that day! As soon as we were done eating, Vinny's stomach problem hit him full force. It wiped him out. We ended back up in the room, and while he rested, I decided to go do some hotel shopping. I went down and found a beautiful Russian dress, costume with the headress for the girls, so they can have it when they are older - for their heritage. I also bought small matrushka dolls and small beautifully painted wooden boxes. I got post cards, and a beautiful Russian scarf and cookbook.

Vinny stil didn't feel better as the night progressed, so I finally convinced him to go with me to find a pharmacy. The streets are very very crowded and noisy like New York (and the traffic). It was nice. Not too scary.... but policemen everywhere. We found the sign for phanrmacy...and asked for immodium. They fortunately understood. We purchased and left. We noticed an old worn out looking peasant woman - crying... just crying in the middle of the streets. We passed her by..I felt sad. But then, I felt impressed to go back, and so did Vinny. We walked back where she was and I dropped a few coins into her hand. She was grateful but still looked so weary. We walked on a bit, thinking and talking about her. I had to stop. I had to go back again. Vinny went with me, and gave me the equivelent of about ten dollars to give to her - quite a lot to anyone over there. I walked right up to her. She recognized me, and looked at me imploringly, with the question in her eyes that will forever haunt me. I think she thought I wanted the coins back. Then she looked down, and openly wept when I placed the money into her hands. Only this time it was tears of gratitude and joy. I took her in my arms, and hugged her - and then I kissed both of her weatherbeaten cheeks. "Spaciba". she cried over and over again (Thank you, thank you) not wanting to let go. She looked down at the money in amazement, like she didnt know where it had come from. I told her I loved her, and turned to leave. From that lone experience I have learned much about charity. She did not reek of alchohol, she truly needed the money to eat - to put a roof over her head and I'm glad we were able to help. I wished I would have given her more. (This was truly a highlight of our trip).

Back at the hotel, we were able to purchase a phone card, and access the internet. I'm so glad we got to make contact with some of our family. We got to talk and tell them about the girls - and the sites and sounds of the things we had seen and done. Tomorrow - we fly to Washington DC. It will be a long trip.

1 comment:

KJade said...

Dana you are such a good writer, I love all the details and the expressive way you help us to "see" what you've seen, what you've eaten, what you were feeling, experiencing!! I could just taste the buffet, see the beggar woman, imagine your panic at the ATM, etc.! Love your blogging!! Thank you! Love, Renee'

Salutations

My photo
United States
Just a bunch of crazys trying to keep it real